Saturday, December 6, 2008

Alan Moore & Dave Gibbons, Watchmen (1986)

I was talking with my friend Ryan about the book The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Díaz. Being an avid reader himself, he advised me that I read Watchmen before reading Oscar Wao. He said that I would understand the Díaz book much better for having read the Alan Moore book first.

It was my first graphic novel, & I must admit that I thoroughly enjoyed it. I kept turning the pages to see what would happen next. Instead of being just a comic book, the story is unexpectedly profound & full of symbolism.

As it turns out, this book is somewhat of a cult classic. Even the Peanuts gang & the Simpsons are in on it. I was totally out of the loop.



















Still, Alan Moore is a bit creepy looking, don't you think?






















This book was returned to the Tempe Public Library.

No comments: