Friday, March 20, 2009

Isak Dinesen, Out of Africa (1937) & Shadows on the Grass (1960)

It took me over a month to finish it, but I finally did!

Not that this was a bad read. It was really interesting to read about the experiences of a European woman living on the "frontier" of Africa at the beginning of the 20th century, especially since I know very little about the continent or its people, or the time period for that matter. I guess it was just a really long book, 462 pages to be exact.

At one point, Dinesen talks about a grumpy old Danish man who lived on her farm in Africa: "Old Knudsen, although he would sometimes sing of the sailor's bride who loves the waves, in his heart had a deep mistrust of woman, and saw her as the enemy of man, by instinct, and on principle, out to stop his fun." Which could be said of any man & any woman.

I'm looking forward to seeing the movie. My friend Michelle says that the movie & the book are completely different. Apparently Dinesen had so much information for her memoirs that what didn't make it into her book made it into the movie.

No comments: